Mind of its own
YOU CAN CONTROL MECustomers with ethnic hair and flat, lifeless hair are some of the most frustrated and desperate people that often take the time to write us!
- Let's start with a few tips for ethnic hair (these apply to the countless pleas for help we get from customers with biracial kids).
- Check out all of the suggestions in our Curly hair section. Chances are they will all apply...
- Make sure to always brush from the bottom, up, one section at a time. Work through the knots in the lowest couple inches of the hair, and then move up a couple inches higher.
- Use a firm stroke, brushing each section against the side of the palm of your hand.
- Keep lots of detangler on hand and on days you have not wet or washed the hair, just refresh with the detangler and your fingers.
- Ethnic hair is typically strong, but it can also snap easily from too much stress. This is one of the major reasons The Knot Genie works so well, as it gently untangles knots. Make sure you go easy on other things that stress the hair... go easy on the glued-in extensions, tight braids and cornrows, and hard, gel hairstyles. Alternating between wearing the hair loose and braiding it on a weekly basis is a good rule of thumb.
- Loose braids are a great option, especially if you are trying to grow the hair out. The braid keeps the hair controlled, without the need for heat and chemicals.
- OK, now for other big "mind of its own" audience. The flat, lifeless hair types.
- First, your hair might be flat and lifeless, but we KNOW everything else about you is anything but!!! (ok, just needed to say that).
- Flat, thin hair is also very delicate and prone to breakage, so The Knot Genie is ideal for you as it is very gentle on the hair.
- When you get your next cut, try some short, choppy layers in it. That will give some extra "poof" to the top of your head.
- Forget everything you heard from us about leaving in conditioner. You don't need anything that could potentially weigh your hair down. Use volumizing shampoo and conditioner and then a volumizing spray for blowdrying. Volumizing is your magic word.
- Try drying your hair upside down and then spraying with some hairspray. You'll love the volume. And you might even get to skip your blush that day ;-)